Mistletoe (our elf on the shelf) underwent surgery. He came for a quick visit from the North Pole while my boys were at school and after a bit of anesthesia we quickly got to work adding ‘bones’ to his body. He was sick of having limp, wet noodle legs and arms and a top heavy head.
I kept seeing pictures of elves with bent legs and arms and our elf just had stick straight legs and arms so I did some investigating.
To make your elf bendable you will need the following supplies:
- Seam ripper
- Red and white thread
- Sewing needle
- Wire (I used 16 gauge jewelry wire)
- Jewelry wire
- Start out by using a seam ripper to rip out two stitches from the end of each hand and foot large enough to put the wire through.
- Cut your wire to length. (For the correct measurements I put the wire into the arm to get the length, pulled it back out and snipped it.)
- So that the sharp ends of the wire didn’t threaten to tear our elf I bent each raw edge in. In the end each piece of wire was a bit shorter than the respective arm or leg but were the perfect fit after I sewed them in.
- Once the wire is inserted into the limb use coordinating thread and needle to sew his hands and feet shut again. I used a simple whip stitch.
I party HERE