I have mentioned before that growing up my mom made big homemade breakfasts on the weekends. Monday through Friday expect cereal, toast, oatmeal or a toaster strudel but on the weekends she would usually make something great! Like many moms she had to get her (three) kids up and to school before she traveled twenty minutes to work where she spent the day and then came home to make dinner, give baths, and pick us up from extracurricular activities. Seriously (I promise I am sharing a recipe here) you will never appreciate how much your parents did for you until you have your own kids and find yourself doing it all!
One of the most requested weekend breakfasts was biscuits and gravy (followed by my dad’s famous fluffier than a pillow pancakes). After I married Mike and tried to start cooking more I had trouble with my gravy. We laugh about it now because one time I added way too much milk and it ended up looking and tasting like milk with sausage floating around in it. Finally I figured out what works for us!
The recipe ends up perfect every time and the meal ends with an empty pan of gravy! When I made this over the weekend Wyatt declared this meal the best breakfast and had seconds… then thirds! Eat up kid – I don’t cook breakfast on the weekdays either!
- 1 pound sausage (I used mild but you could kick it up with medium or hot!)
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups of whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot biscuits (can you keep a secret? … I use Pillsbury buttermilk)
- Brown sausage in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the sausage is cooked through add the flour and stir to coat. Then reduce the heat a bit and add milk, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until the milk is thickened and bubbly.
- Serve with warm biscuits!
I party HERE