I have been known to put pictures on Instagram of little stands on the side of the road selling boiled peanuts. We live in Florida (not too far from Georgia), and being married to a man from the south means that we usually stop and pick up a bag. I had never had a boiled peanut until a few years ago, and now I am hooked!
When my mother and sister-in-law made their last trip to Georgia they brought us home some peaches and raw peanuts. Of course there are no peach recipes to share because they disappeared too quickly, but I do have an awesome garlic boiled peanut recipe that was SO yummy!
- 1/2 cup of garlic cloves – chopped
- 2-3 pounds of raw peanuts
- 1 cup of salt
- Place the peanuts, garlic, and salt in a large pot and cover with water. Place on the stove and bring to a boil. Then let simmer for 1-3 hours.
- Periodically check to see if they are done. Open up a shell and when they are soft throughout they are done. If they have a bit of crunch then they are not done yet.
- Drain and eat! They are best when fresh and warm!!
We usually leave a bit of the water so they can stay warm while we eat them, and get something to discard the shells. A paper bowl or grocery bag works great!